Registered Republicans and Democrats in Connecticut can vote in primaries in their respective parties on Tuesday, Aug. 14, for candidates running in state and federal elections.
Polls open across the state at 6 a.m. and close at 8 p.m.
While registered voters can't switch their party affiliation at this point, unaffiliated or unregistered voters can register by noon today to vote in either primary.
Report to your usual polling place to vote in the primaries:
U.S. Senate Primary
All Connecticut residents, either Republicans or Democrats, who vote in Tuesday's primary will choose between two candidates each in their respective parties for the open U.S. Senate race.
This is the seat currently held by U.S. Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, a former Democrat-turned-Independent who is retiring.
Click on a candidate's names to see his/her profile. Those without links have not yet responded to Patch's candidate questionnaire.
- , current congressman from the Fifth District, the party's endorsed candidate and a Cheshire resident.
- Susan Bysiewicz, former Secretary of the State and Middletown resident.
- Linda E. McMahon, a former CEO Of WWE, the party's endorsed candidate and Greenwich resident.
- , former congressman from the 4th Congressional District in Fairfield County and a resident of Bridgeport.
Where The Candidates Will Gather
The candidates will all rendevouz with their campaign staffs during Tuesday evening at hotels, restaurants and other venues, to watch as the vote returns from the primary are called in.
These campaign gatherings happen around the time the polls close, at 8 p.m., and supporters and local reporters will likely show up too.
Here’s a breakdown on where each candidate is expected to be after the votes are called in:
- Murphy Campaign: Omni Hotel, 155 Temple St., New Haven
- Bysiewicz Campaign: Mattabesett Canoe Club, 80 Harbor Drive, Middletown (Bysiewicz expected to address supporters at 8:30 p.m.)
- McMahon Campaign: Hilton Stamford Hotel, 1 Stamford Place, Stamford
- Shays Campaign: Campaign Headquarters, 2013 Main St., Stratford
Editor's Note: Every candidate was asked to complete a questionnaire, which we've linked to in this article. Not every candidate completed one.