- Always stay away from and avoid downed power lines. To report a downed power line or outage, please call 1-800-7-CALL-UI (1-800-722-5584) and provide the location and any specifics
- Customers of The United Illuminating Company can check out their new Outage Map online at uinet.com. The new map features zoom controls and provides details about the nature and location of outages. You can find the new Outage Map — as well their Town Outage List, Restoration Priorities, Storm Tips and Storm Safety information — at the Storm Center on uinet.com.
- Calling UI directly will provide a more efficient process to return power to your area.
- Be cautious of downed power lines.~ Downed lines that look un-energized may become energized as individuals near them.~ Treat all downed wires as live.
Securing Your Home and Family:
- Residents are urged to secure all loose outdoor items.~ Garbage cans and lawn furniture can easily become projectiles with the onset of tropical force winds.~
- People are urged to remain indoors during the storm as the combination of heavy rain and gusty winds may result in downed trees and power lines.
- Staying home – if you are not in an evacuation area - is the safest choice
- Residents should use extreme caution if they have to travel anywhere.~
- DO NOT drive through flood waters.~ If you encounter any flooding during your travels, turn around.~
- Low areas such as bridge underpasses possess the greatest dangers.~
- Vehicles that are located in flood prone areas should be moved to higher ground.~~ Residents that live in these areas should watch the weather and check for updates.
- The City of Milford Emergency Operations Center (EOC) will sound the Early Warning Sirens if the need arises for additional evacuations. Mandatory evacuations are being conducted in shoreline areas.
- Jonathan Law High School has been designated as a shelter. Those needing assistance from the shelter, can also house their domestic pets at that location.
Milford Residents should keep updated on the storm’s progress and think about storm preparation if the storm intensifies.~ Residents can receive updates on the storm progress and track by accessing the following information.
City of Milford Storm line @ 8Storm2, that is 878-6762
City of Milford Website – www.ci.milford.ct.us
Local news agencies
- Connecticut Department of Emergency Services & Homeland Security
- Hurricane Preparedness: Be Ready (National Hurricane Center)
- Plan & Prepare (American Red Cross)
- Hurricane Checklists (National Hurricane Survival Initiative)
- Food Safety during Power Outages ~(U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)