Smoke detectors are credited for saving lives on Collingsdale Drive today, according to Capt. Chris Zak of the Milford Fire Department.
A fire broke out in a basement bedroom at 42 Collingsdale Drive around 5:30 p.m.
When firefighters arrived they reportedly saw heavy smoke and fire going up to the second floor and it worked its way up to the attic, causing massive damage to the inside of the home.
Zak said one resident received minor burns, and two cats that were unconscious were given oxygen and turned over to Milford Animal Control.
The Fire Marshals are on the scene checking things out and firefighters are removing all burnt materials from inside the home before they leave.
Zak said the working smoke detectors inside the home made a tremendous difference in the outcome of this incident and that it should act as a reminder to everyone to change the batteries in their smoke and CO detectors.