We are only a few weeks into the winter season and Milford has
experienced another building fire caused by the inappropriate disposal of
wood stove ashes.
In Connecticut alone, we are seeing a rise in fires caused by hot embers and ash from 269 in 2011 to 369 in 2012.
The Milford Fire department is strongly urging all of our residents to reeducate themselves to the dangers of and the safety procedures for the use of wood stoves and fireplaces
- Never empty ashes into a paper or plastic bag, cardboard box, or other similar container.
- The only suitable means for ash storage is a metal container with a tight fitting lid.
- For optimum safety, wet the wood ashes prior to attaching the metal lid to the pail.
- DO NOT store your metal ash container on your deck, in your garage, or in any location that may allow heat to transfer from those hot coals to nearby flammable items.
Wood ash, once completely cooled, can safely be disposed of in your garden because natural firewood ash makes a great soil additive that your plants will enjoy.
sure you have removed any mulching materials such as dried leaves and other dried
plants first, so there's nothing to catch fire in your garden.