Milford police and state officials Wednesday cited three local establishments for selling tobacco products to an underage youth employed by investigators, police said Friday.
Officials conducted unannounced compliance inspections on 17 Milford businesses and three were found in violation of a state statute prohibiting the sale of tobacco to minors under 18, police said.
The violation carries a $200 fine and each offending cigarette dealer license holder faces additional penalties from the state Department of Revenue Services, which issues the licenses, police said.
The three establishments found in violation were:
- The Wine & Spirits Co., 175 Cherry St.
- Convenient Junction, 762 Boston Post Road
- Woodmont Shell, 1345 New Haven Ave.
Those found to be in compliance with state law were:
- Wines and More, 242 Boston Post Road
- Milford Smoke Junction, 482 Bridgeport Ave.
- Speedy Mart Food Store, 109 Meadowside Road
- Corner Convenience, 358 River St.
- Sonu Mart, 1201 Boston Post Road
- Krauszers, 5 Point Pond Ave.
- Patriot Fuels, 719 Boston Post Road
- Mobil, 118 Bridgeport Ave.
- Suremart, 695 Bridgeport Ave.
- Food Fare Deli & Market, 1064 East Broadway
- On the Run Mobil, 1354 Boston Post Road
- Shell Food Mart, 190 Woodmont Road
- Family Mart, 561 New Haven Ave.
- Colony News & Lotto, 400 Boston Post Road
The Milford Police Department and staff members of the state Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) Tobacco Prevention and Enforcement Program carried out the checks.