John Edward Peterson, Jr. of Milford and Orange died on Monday, February
11 after a brief illness.
Mr. Peterson was born in Waterbury in 1929, and moved to Milford as a child, when his father relocated the Waterbury Lock and Specialty Company there.
Mr. Peterson was a graduate of Milford Prep School and entered Yale as a member of the Class of 1952. He left school before graduation in order to take over the running of Waterbury Lock when his father, John Sr. became ill. John Jr. ran the company until the early 1970's when he retired and sold it.
He stayed involved with his Yale class, serving on their Annual Giving Committee for many years. Mr. Peterson was an avid boater, craftsman/builder, and dog lover. He served on the Chamber of Commerce for a number of years in Milford and on the Zoning Board in Orange, where he lived from 1955 until he moved to the Golden Hill Health Care Center last August. He loved Paul's hamburgers, and was a fixture on the green and at Spencer's Marina for over 50 years.
Mr. Peterson is survived by his three daughters and sons-in-law: Debbie Wooley
(Jim) of Hamden, Karen Stone (Wes) of Maryland, and Kirstie Liggins (Bruce) of
Shelton, his three grandsons: Doug and Cameron Liggins, and John-Aubrey Stone, and his long-time companion Aldora (Dorey) Boutwell of Bolton. He was predeceased by his son, John E. Peterson, III (Chipper).
There will be a private burial service at a later date. Arrangements are being handled by Cody-White Funeral Home.
Donations may be sent in his name to Golden Hill Health Care Center/Resident Council, 2028 Bridgeport Ave, Milford, CT 06460 or the Connecticut Humane Society, 701 Russell Road, Newington, CT 06111.