IT HAPPENED IN MILFORD WEEK 8
co-authored by Jean Tsang and David Gregory
In 1672 a committee of six men from New Haven and nine from Milford established the boundary lines between the two communities of Milford and New Haven.
In 1792 Mary “Molly” Fowler died at the age of 23. She was buried in Milford cemetery. The inscription on her tombstone reads:
“Molly though pleasant in her day was suddenly seized and sent away.
How soon she’s ripe, how soon she’s rott’n.
Sent to her grave and soon forgott’n.”
On February 18, 1915 Milford Town Hall burnt to the ground. In the following year a thousand people gathered for the laying of the cornerstone for the new town hall. Within the stone of Lee marble a copper box contained many documents, photographs, minutes of town meetings, reports, a telephone directory, various programs of Milford events, three arrowheads and other trophies.
For more information on the 375th Anniversary Celebration visit www.milfordct375.org.