In 1642 Doctor Jasper Gunn supplemented his medical practice by becoming Milford’s first schoolteacher. He was assisted for a short time by the Reverend John Sherman.
On August 31, 1888 the town of Milford celebrated the unveiling of the Civil War Monument on the Green. At sunrise there was a fifteen gun salute, flags were raised, factory whistles blew, and church bells rang. The GAR ( a Civil War veterans group) and private donations contributed the $3,000 dollars for the cost of the monument.
On October 8, 1906 ten motorists were charged with “violations of the speed laws.” These reckless drivers exceeded the posted speed limit of fifteen miles per hours.
For more information on the City of Milford's 375th Anniversary Celebration visit www.milfordct375.org or email email@example.com
This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.