IT HAPPENED IN MILFORD
WEEK # 4 of 10
co-authored by Jean Tsang and David Gregory
Submitted by the City of Milford 375th Committee
In 1759 David Baldwin was chosen sexton for the next year. His duties included ringing the bell on all public occasions and ringing the bell at 9 p.m. nightly. This last was in response to the new law passed by the General Assembly in Hartford related to tippling and drunkenness. It imposed a severe penalty on any person found in a house where strong drink was sold after 9 p.m. A more severe penalty was placed upon the owner or occupant of the house “who should permit such a breach of the law upon his, her or their premise.”
In 1868 Milford was a thriving community. Amongst its businesses were:
· Five cider mills
· Two carriage shops
· One broom shop
· One children’s carriage shop
· Four seed growers
· Three hotels
· One saloon
Harrison and Gould's, a popular downtown store was founded in 1907. In 1944 a paint department was added to the rear of Harrison and Goulds making it the longest store in New England. The store was 35 feet wide by 206 feet long.
The City of Milford is celebrating their 375th Anniversary. For more information visit www.milfordct375.org.