.
News Alert
Milford Fire: Elevated Gas Levels Leads to…

Carbon Monoxide poisoning - cases rising in Sandy's Aftermath - by Renee Casey

Carbon monoxide poisoning cases are rising in Sandy's wake.

Doctors have always believed that prevention is the best cure. Almost daily, we are faced with new health dangers and risks. In Sandy's wake, we are now faced with families trying to make do and function as best they can. So to make matters worse, carbon monoxide toxicity rears its head. While CO poisoning has always been a common concern in the winter months due to less than optimal heating sources, we now have to be careful as families without power use coal, wood, gas stoves and grills for heat. As the pediatrician on call for my practice in Bridgeport this week, I've come across several cases of severe CO poisoning. Families are grilling indoors as the temperatures outside are getting chillier. Families are also using their gas stoves to heat their homes overnight. Poison control centers are flooded with calls from local emergency rooms. We need to get the word out to our friends and neighbors about the dangers of inhalants. Make sure your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors have fresh batteries. We usually suggest testing the batteries every month and changing the batteries every 6 months when we fall back and spring ahead for daylight savings. Keep poison control's hotline number nearby - 800-222-1222. Watch for signs and symptoms such as: - headaches - nausea - vomiting - fatigue - sleepiness or difficulty arousing from sleep. Make sure your homes are well ventilated. Visit your nearest emergency room if you're concerned. Grill outdoors only. Avoiding leaving gas stoves on for heat overnight. Check regularly on the elderly and ill. Lets keep safe as we struggle to get back to normal as soon as possible.

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.

Michael Casey November 02, 2012 at 06:17 PM
http://poisoncontrol.uchc.edu/
Renee Casey November 02, 2012 at 06:21 PM
Helpful tips from UConn's Toxicology site in English and Spanish: http://poisoncontrol.uchc.edu/about_poisons/carbonmonoxide/articles/silentkiller_english.html http://poisoncontrol.uchc.edu/about_poisons/carbonmonoxide/articles/silentkiller_spanish.html

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something