Amidst the rain and fog during the early morning hours of Monday, Jan. 6, firefighters battled a blaze in Shelton that displaced residents and destroyed a building built in 1850. Several people were sent to the hospital.
The 446 Howe Ave. building was a mixed-use building with businesses on the first floor and apartments on the upper floors, according to Shelton Patch. Around 1:20 a.m.,portions of the building collapsed.
The displaced residents staying at the Echo Hose Fire House need the basic necessities, according to the fire department.
The Echo Hose Firehouse posted the following on its Facebook page, around 7 p.m. Monday:
Still taking donations at this time. Adult clothing. Non-perishable food. Gift cards to Walmart/Target/Stop & Shop. Other items as well. Bring any donations to the firehouse at 379 Coram Ave., Shelton
The fire department originally asked people to contact the Echo Hose Firehouse at 203-924-4200 or 203-924-4241 if they are able to make any donations but stated on the Facebook page that they are overwhelmed with calls, don’t need any more hot food and are recommending people bring donations to the firehouse.
The American Red Cross was also on the scene. To donate to the organization, visit the Red Cross website.Shelton firefighters were joined by firefighters from Monroe, Stevenson, Newtown, Orange, Seymour, Stratford, Ansonia and Derby. Two engines and a ladder truck responded from Seymour.Crews from as far away as Southport and Orange offered assistance.