Columbus Day, observed on the second Monday in October (Oct. 8 this year), honors Christopher Columbus' arrival in the New World in October of 1492.
Here's the list of what is open and closed in Bethany and Woodbridge on Monday:
- Retail Stores
- Stock market
- Convenience Stores
- Gyms/Health Clubs
- Call ahead before heading to any of the above establishments to confirm they are open. Many retail stores or gyms/health clubs may be operating on a Sunday schedule or with limited hours.
- Some banks
- No mail delivery – all U.S post offices are closed
- Federal Offices
- State Offices
- Town Hall and Municipal Offices (both Bethany and Woodbridge)
- Schools (Amity Region No. 5, Bethany, Woodbridge)
- Libraries (Woodbridge Town Library, Clark Memorial Library)
According to the History Channel website, "[Columbus] intended to chart a western sea route to China, India and the fabled gold and spice islands of Asia; instead, he landed in the Bahamas, becoming the first European to explore the Americas since the Vikings set up colonies in Greenland and Newfoundland during the 10th century."
Read more about his journey here.
Correction: The stock market was incorrectly listed as being closed. It's open for business.